Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Amsterdam entry tiles



What is happening??? Here are two examples of the kind of tiles I see frequently oustside Amsterdam building entrances. Now, the choice of tiles that I typically see is, to me, mind-bogglingly wrong, and I just can't figure it out. The Dutch tend to have excellent, European-refined taste and have turned out centuries of beautiful art and architecture. So what the heck happened with these entrances? These were put in a long time ago, and I have to wonder why. Did the taste of the time run that strange? Did people use remnant tiles for their street entrances? I really have to document more of these.

1 comment:

  1. I'd guess the one on the bottom is surely scrap tile.

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love comments, suggestions, ideas, words of praise, unlimited adoration, witty somethings. Aww, just spit it out. I love it that you even read my blog...a comment too!!! That gets you extra points!!